Fifteen members of the UNB Saint John varsity athletics program received Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) Academic National Scholar Awards for the 2017-18 season.
- Sam Anstey, Basketball
- Hanna Grossman, Basketball
- Alannah Hansen, Basketball
- Kathryn Magee, Basketball
- Allyson McLaughlin, Basketball
- Victor Emordi, Soccer
- Harold Oh, Soccer
- Logan Perry, Soccer
- Marina Comeau, Soccer
- Samantha Gallan, Soccer
- Jake Glaspy, Volleyball
- Patrick Kendall, Volleyball
- Dayna Alexander, Volleyball
- Maggie Birney, Volleyball
- Jenna DeGooyer, Volleyball
- Madison Hartos, Volleyball
The National Scholar Award is designed to recognize the outstanding academic accomplishments of CCAA student athletes.
“We are excited to have CCAA National Scholar Award recipients,” said David Munro, athletics director at UNB Saint John. “Playing on a varsity team and attaining a 3.7 grade point average is not easy. It is a tremendous accomplishment. These students have worked hard to reach this level of achievement and we are very proud of them.”
To be recognized, a student athlete must achieve honours standing at their institution in the current academic year. From last year’s 94 CCAA member institutions, 870 student athletes were awarded the prestigious honour in their pursuit of academic and athletic excellence.
Jenna DeGooyer and Patrick Kendall were also named CCAA Academic All-Canadians.
Honourees must attain academic honours at their institution in addition to obtaining one of the following athletic achievements:
- named to their member conference All-Star team (first or second) in soccer, volleyball, basketball or curling;
- earn a gold or silver medal at their member conference badminton championships;
- finish among the top seven men or women as well as finishing in the top third at their member conference cross-country running championships; or
- finish among the top three women or top five men as well as finishing in the top third at their member conference golf championship.
Media contact: Heather Campbell
Photo: CCAA Academic All-Canadians Jenna DeGooyer and Patrick Kendall