UNB News
News and stories from one of Canada’s top universities

Message to the community

Author: UNB Newsroom

Posted on Jan 30, 2018

In recent weeks, UNB has seen the appearance of several posters representing views that are, in my view, contemptible. They do not reflect UNB’s values or our commitment to diversity.

The messages conveyed in the posters that appeared on the UNB Fredericton campus are the opinions of a small group that has no official affiliation with our university. Indeed, we hold very different views.

As a university, we value rigorous and thoughtful debate of a variety of ideas, in a context where we are all held to account for our points of view and the manner and the venue in which they are expressed. We seek always to agree or disagree in a respectful manner whatever the issue. The internet is full of sensationalized and unserious commentary. In my view, it is a mistake for a student newspaper to publish such views and we will express our concerns to The Baron. I encourage others to make their views known – in a respectful manner.

At UNB, we have an ongoing commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and respect. I see great strength in our diversity. I hold great hope that through our collective efforts, we will continue to foster and protect a positive, respectful and inclusive environment.

There are many efforts underway in support of change. We are reviewing our Student Disciplinary Code of Conduct, the UNB Discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Harassment Policy and the UNB Declaration of Rights and Responsibilities. We hope that the review of each of these UNB documents will provide an opportunity for respectful dialogue and debate about our academic and equity values. These policy focused efforts to renew our equity commitments and refresh our practices operate in parallel to numerous UNB-wide, faculty-level, student-driven and staff-organized efforts. Let us focus our collective attention on the outpouring of creativity and support shown by these and other activities and continue to work together to create a positive, respectful, and inclusive environment at UNB.

Regards,
Eddy

H.E.A. (Eddy) Campbell
President & Vice Chancellor