The University of New Brunswick is hosting a major computer science research expo this week that will focus on opportunities in cybersecurity, featuring remarks from Premier Brian Gallant, the Israeli ambassador to Canada and a high-tech entrepreneur from Israel.
The Faculty of Computer Science at UNB is hosting the 2016 Research Expo at the Wu Conference Centre in Fredericton on Friday, April 8.
“The expo will feature leading industry, government and academic speakers sharing insights, knowledge, and advice on the biggest cybersecurity challenges currently facing governments, industry, and public,” said Dr. Ali Ghorbani, dean of the faculty of computer science at UNB and the organizer of the exposition.
The all-day event will include remarks by Ambassador Rafael Barak as well as Roni Zehavi, CEO of Cyberspark, an industry-led initiative in Israel to advance research and development of cyber solutions. An agenda appears below.
Premier Gallant will speak at the opening of a panel discussion entitled Cybersecurity: The New Frontier. Panelists are to include Mr. Zehavi and:
- Sandy Bird, a co-founder of Q1 Labs and now the chief technology officer for IBM Security;
- Steve Burns, president of Bulletproof Solutions Inc;
- Stephen Lund, CEO of Opportunities New Brunswick.
The expo features talks by UNB computer scientists, exhibits, presentations from industry and students as well as 46 posters showcasing research and development.
“This expo brings together some tremendous speakers from near and far to discuss the challenges and opportunities ahead for this province in cybersecurity,” said Dr. Eddy Campbell, president of the University of New Brunswick. “It is building on work by UNB, private-sector companies such as IBM, and government in establishing New Brunswick as a centre of excellence in cybersecurity.”
The public and members of the media are invited to attend. There is no cost to the event but those wishing to attend are encouraged to register online before Wednesday, April 6 at 10 am.
Media contact: David Stonehouse
Research Expo – Agenda – April 8, 2016
- 8:30 – 8:50: Registration
- 8:50 – 8:55: Ali Ghorbani, Dean, Faculty of Computer Science, UNB
- 8:55 – 9:00: Jane Fritz, Interim VP Academic (Fredericton), UNB
- 9:00 – 9:15: Matt DeCourcey, Member of Parliament for Fredericton
- 9:15 – 9:30: Scott Bateman, Faculty of Computer Science, UNB
- 9:30 – 9:45: Mark Zimmerman, CTO, T4G Ltd.
- 9:45 – 10:00: William McIver, NBCC
- 10:00 – 11:00: Break & Poster Session I
- 11:00 – 11:15: Ambassador Rafael Barak, Ambassador from Israel to Canada
- 11:15 – 12:00: Roni Zehavi, CEO, CyberSpark, Israel
- 12:00 – 13:00: Lunch & Poster Session II
- 13:00 -13:15: Stephen Lund, CEO, Opportunities NB
- 13:15 -13:30: Al Carson, Partner, Advisory Services, Ernst & Young
- 13:30 – 13:45: Suprio Ray, Faculty of Computer Science, UNB
- 13:45 – 14:00: Arash Habibi Lashkari, Faculty of Computer Science, UNB
- 14:00 – 14:30: Student Presentations – Panagiotis Patros, Andi Fitriah Abdul Kadir, SoHyun Park
- 14:30 – 15:00: Break & Poster Session III
- 15:00 – 16:45: Panel Discussion
- Panellists: Roni Zehavi, CEO, CyberSpark; Sandy Bird, IBM; Steve Burns, President, Bulletproof Solutions Inc.; Stephen Lund, CEO, Opportunities NB
- Opening Remarks: Hon. Brian Gallant, Premier of New Brunswick
- Topic: Cybersecurity: The New Frontier
- Moderator: Ali Ghorbani